Monday, January 17, 2011

Adventures In Almond Milk

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions. Instead, I set goals. If I reach the goal, great. If I don't, well, I don't. One goal is to make more food at home. I don't mean simply cooking my meals, since I do that already. I mean make foodstuffs that I'd usually buy in a bottle or jar at home.

Almond milk is the first thing I've tried to make at home. I got the recipe from the book D.I.Y. Delicious: Recipes and Ideas for Simple Food from Scratch. I have a number of other recipes from there that I'll be attempting over the next few months.

Back to the almond milk. It's one of those things that is so mind-numbingly simple to make, but may not be worth it in the end. The recipe calls for 2 cups, or half a pound of almonds, plus 8 cups of water to make 5 cups of milk plus the spent almond pulp, which you can add to granola or cookie dough. The almonds I got were over $7 a pound. A 2 quart box of almond box costs around $3 in these parts, so it's really not cost effective.

On to the taste and texture. The homemade milk definitely tastes better than the box kind. I didn't sweeten mine and usually I don't touch almond milk unless it's sweetened or flavored. In the texture department, well, let's just say that if you pour yourself a glass the homemade stuff and take a big gulp, you may gag. My description of it to my boyfriend was: "delicious, but gritty." That was after the first straining.

It got a little less gritty after subsequent strainings, but still isn't as smooth as I would like. I wonder if using cheese cloth in addition to the fine mesh strainer would help or if I should let my blender run longer.

In sum: tastes better except gritty and costs more. Worth it? Maybe not, unless you can find cheap almonds.

No comments: