Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gardentime 2010: The End of Everything

Finally. A few weeks ago, the yellow bell peppers started ripening. Just in time too, as it seems there's going to be a frost tomorrow night. I was betting on the first frost coming at the very end of the month, so I had to do a bit of scrambling today to clean some stuff up.

I trimmed the mint down and put a layer of mulch on top of it. I dried all the excess leaves. What seemed like a lot actually turned out to be very little, just one little spice jar full of dried leaves.

I also cut down what was left of the tomato and pulled all the basil. Some of the basil looked a little gross, the leaves were whitish, as if something had come by and sucked all the chlorophyll from them. The ones that were still a vibrant green were turned into a pesto, which went into the freezer.

The cayenne still has several unripe fruits, as does the yummy bell. The yellow bell pepper has about three mostly ripened but not quite fruits. I know I can just pull the fruits as they are now, but I really prefer the taste of ripened peppers. I guess nature is just against me here, and either I pull the peppers now or they'll just be destroyed by the frost.  

As far as the next step, I'm not sure. I guess cut down the remaining plants, wrap the strawberries in a blanket and clean the containers. I'd like to save as much of the container soil as I can, since it is so very expensive. But advice on that seems to go two ways: either yeah, save it or omg, don't do that! I think I'll just pour it all in a big bin, let it sit the winter outdoors and see what comes of it. I have no idea what I'm actually doing and I kind of enjoy that.

No comments: