Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hot Pepper Harvest

I left the country for a week a couple of weeks ago, and returned to find my cayenne plant had plenty of peppers ready to pick (the strawberry plant also had a few gifts to offer). I'm not really sure what to do with the peppers. My first thought was hot sauce, but I don't think 6 peppers is quite enough to make any substantial amount of sauce. I tossed one into a tofu scramble I made and put another in rice and beans.

Cayenne peppers are hot, but not super hot. They apparently fall between 30,000 and 50,000 on the Scoville scale, which is hotter than a jalapeno but less hot than a scotch bonnet, if that's any help. The more stress a hot pepper plant endures, the hotter its heat. I've made it a point to be a bit of a gardener bitch to my cayenne. I've let it dry out, made it endure 100 degree temperatures (okay, really that was beyond my control and the entire garden had to endure it). The resulting peppers are pretty spicy. I only used a small one in the tofu scramble and it was enough to add a layer of heat to the entire thing, even a small bite.

Now, if only the rest of the garden could put out like the little cayenne (okay, actually pretty huge cayenne--he's three feet tall).

No comments: