Friday, June 11, 2010

Etsy Finds

I'm a bit of a sucker for vintage stuff, so I thought I'd start a new feature on this blog, showing off stuff I find on Etsy. First up is this very awesome rotary phone, which I got from seller Objet Petita.  She even threw in a free watercolor of a disgruntled looking Shakespeare, which I thought was great.


I had a rotary phone in my room growing up. It was a slimline princess phone in a drab shade of beige but it was MY phone so I loved it. As I got older, rotary phones quickly became a little useless, since you had to press buttons when calling customer service numbers, and so my love affair with my phone kind of died by the time I was a senior in high school (that's also when I got a translucent purple cordless phone and when most of the rest of the people my age were switching to cell phones).

But then one day a few years ago, I decided I really wanted a rotary phone in a cool color to just sit on a table in my house and look nice. In case you couldn't tell, green is one of my favorite colors.

This phone has the old style cord, with four prongs on it, so it won't work in a modern day jack. I don't have an actual landline in my home anyway, so it doesn't matter. The phone is a broken anyway, the buttons under the receiver are stuck down, but it looks very very happy sitting on my side table. And I kinda like picking up the receiver, turning the dial and listening to the "errrtccccch" sound it makes.

If you want a rotary phone for yourself, there are plenty more of them on Etsy.

No comments: