Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Annatto Seed--This Year's Culinary Unicorn?

I recently got Terry Hope Romero's new cookbook, Viva Vegan! (she co-wrote Veganomicon and Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar). I'm just starting to make some of the recipes in the book. I've hit a slight wall though, in that a primary ingredient in many recipes is "Annatto Infused Oil" The oil is easy enough to make, you just steep annatto seeds in canola oil on the stove for a bit. Finding the seeds or ground annatto or achiote paste is, however, proving quite difficult.

I've found it online, which is great and all, but I want a local source. Any tips for finding annatto in Philly? Whole Foods and Essene were a no, as was Pathmark. Guess I could try the Latin supermarket over on Wolf St.

(Btw, annatto is the stuff that makes orange cheddar cheese look orange.)

No comments: