Monday, May 31, 2010

Whip It

I finally got around to watching Whip It, the Drew Barrymore directed movie about a girl who joins a roller derby team, the other week. Two thoughts about the movie:
  1. It really really made me want to join a roller derby team.
  2. The fact that the girl doesn't end up with the stupid boy at the end made me so happy.
Ok, first thought: I've since changed my mind about joining a roller derby team. I don't have the time to train for it. Second thought, my god, why don't more movies end like that?

Women are supposed to stick up for themselves, ditch the d-bags who cheat or lie, etc. but then we've constantly got these movies where the guy is a complete asshat, does something that would raise super bright red flags to an actual human being and the woman is just like, oh hey, yeah, I guess I love him. Let's get married. (The Accidental Husband, which I had the misfortune of watching a few months ago, comes to mind. Man hacks into computer and weds himself to a woman to get revenge on her, and she eventually comes around and falls in love with him. What?)

So, thanks, Whip It, for not doing that.

No comments: