Friday, February 26, 2010

Vegan Broccoli Soup

Last Friday, my tooth broke. This tooth had a long history of damage, starting when it was hit with a wiffle ball bat when I was 13 and ending last week when I rushed to the emergency dentist and he put in an acrylic crown. I get my real crown in a few weeks.

Until then, I have this rather large not real front tooth. It's a bit too big for my mouth and even though the dentist said I could eat, I'm finding chewing to be difficult because I can't bite properly.

So I've been eating soups and smoothies and other soft things for the most part. I'm a particularly big fan of broccoli cheddar soup. I usually use a recipe I got from Emeril on the Food Network's website. While I love that recipe, it does have copious amounts of fat in it, in the form of heavy cream, butter, and of course, the cheese.

I'm also feeling a bit guilty about my cheese habit and want to cut back. So, puttering around the Internet a few weeks ago, I found this recipe for a vegan broccoli cheese soup.

As you may have guessed, the "cheese" in this soup comes from nutritional yeast. It's pretty yummy, with a sharp, tangy taste. It won't fool anyone into thinking it's actually cheese but it's a darn fine soup in its own right.

I modified her recipe a bit. She says to steam your onion, which seems weird to me. I simply fried it in the oil, then added minced garlic (her recipe calls for garlic powder) and cooked the garlic till it was fragrant. I also reduced the size of the recipe by a quarter and used a squirt of liquid mustard instead of dry and a cup of no-chicken broth mixed with a cup of water.

Finally, I pureed the soup in the blender, since the whole point of this project is to have non-chunky yet still filling food.

It made enough for two servings of soup.
Here's a run down of what I did:

Chop 1 very small onion
Mince 2 cloves of garlic
Steam 5 ounces of broccoli (I used frozen)
Melt butter/margarine in saucepot
Add onion, fry until softened and slightly golden brown.
Add garlic, cook until fragrant.
Mix 1/4 cup nutritional yeast with 1/4 cup ap flour and about a teaspoon salt, add to onion/garlic mixture and stir or whisk to combine.
Throw in a pinch or so of dried thyme
Slowly pour in 1 cup of vegetable broth (Imagine's No-Chicken broth is awesome here) and 1 cup of water, stirring as you pour.
Stir/whisk until there are no chunks (obviously, onion bits are okay).
Squirt in a bit of mustard, stir.
Let simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in steamed broccoli, return to a simmer for a minute or two.
Puree in a blender.

No comments: