Monday, June 8, 2009

Sewing Machine


One of the blogs I read, Sew, Mama, Sew!, is hosting Sewing Machine Month this month and has introduced this sewing machine meme, inviting readers and bloggers to review their machines.

What brand and model do you have?
A Kenmore 385.11608

How long have you had it?
Since I was 15 or 16, so about 10 years.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?
My nana bought it for me, so I don't know exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was under $200.

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?
Clothing, bags, pillows, I'm trying to start a line of practical organizer things (lunchboxes, purse inserts, etc) but that hasn't happened yet.

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?
I probably do about 3 projects a month, at least recently. Before that the machine wouldn't see much action for long periods of time, then I would get a show and have to make several costumes over a couple of days.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?
I really like my machine. I like that I've had it for so long and (knock wood) have had no problems with it. I put it through some abuse and it serves me well.

What features does your machine have that work well for you?
It's a very simple machine, it doesn't really have too many features. I like that its shortest stitches are really tight (except when I make a mistake, then I hate it!) I also like the positioning of the stitch and stitch length adjuster dials.

Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
I never know when the bobbin is out until I look at what I'm sewing and see a piece of thread instead of stitches. boo.

Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
My machine used to have two poles to put the spools of thread on. The first one was kind of loose, and would come completely off the machine. One day, I was changing the spool of thread when the pole came all the way off and disappeared. I heard a clanking noise somewhere, but haven't found it to this date. I think it somehow fell into the machine, but I'm not sure how that could happen.

Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?
I would, just because I've had it so long and it still works like a charm. I'm not sure if they still make this model, though.

What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?
I have no idea. I don't know too much about the technical side of sewing machines. I would think ease of use would be a determining factor, though. Are the labels easy to read, the knobs/dials easy to adjust? Also, will the machine last and be able to put up with a lot of use/abuse?

Do you have a dream machine?
I'm pretty loyal to this one, and I'd feel like I was cheating on it if I wanted a new machine!

No comments: